Sunday, December 20, 2009

how to disappear completely







I'm back. Sufjan Steven likes these flamenco folk players, as do I. I forewarn you they sound like a hippie group that could've played Woodstock and could easily soundtrack a Cameron Crowe throwback film, so if you're not into that, step away! Otherwise break out the tambourine and white gown, join the fun!


CANADIAN SUPERGROUP.
Lovely idea right?


Starfucker have changed their name! Their myspace hasn't been updated that recently, however their new stuff is amazing. When they play live, they do so accompanied by old records, that make their shows more like plays than just concerts, which is very very fun.


Monocle magazine have been harping on for a while now about the wonders of Sweden, their design scene, fashion scene and we're all aware of the music the snowy wonderland has given us, Little Big Adventure are a pretty little package that represent Sweden at its best, and my oh my would Monocle be proud. Like a mellow Daniel Johnson with touches of good Peter Bjorn and John, songs like 'The Hateful Eye' recall Miike Snow-esque electric beats accompanied by soothing glitch free vocals that equal rad noises all around.


The French speaking Regina Spektor, and whether or not you speak the language this girls voice and simple piano led songs will make you feel as well rested and warm as the first time you heard Regina herself.


If I were going to SXSW this band would be high on my list to see. Scuzzy and poppy in that Pains of Being Pure of Heart way, just with more girly vocals, this is just up my street. I'm not sure whether this would die live, as the garageband-esque production is what makes me most happy, but go see them and let me know?


PDX's answer to Girl Talk. I'm not super into it, but the kids at Holoscene are, and that can only mean scary big things happening on the underground.


Fun are like Panic! At The Disco at their most eccentric. It's quite like the Rocket Summer and I really love it. Fun is really theatrical and polished, but is certainly not for everyone, it's a lot to take on board... I suggest trying it if you're feeling ambitious and curious...Nettwerks done good.


Jenny Owens Young-esque folk. By no means anything groundbreaking, but if you like the Johnny Flynn, JOY, N&TW sector of guitar music, Caroline may make you very happy.


Like a lo-fi Tokyo Police Club meets Girls. Sweets, surfy and catchy enough that boys in collared shirts and sweater vests the world over will tap their toes intermittently.


Fans of Panda Bear, Animal Collective and early TV on the Radio rejoice, here be the beginnings of your new favourite band.


So guiltily indebted to the eighties, it at times sounds like bad karaoke, but if you listen beyond some off vocals, this is pretty awesome. It gives off Prince like vibes, therein PDX wins once more.


This band make me feel really uncomfortable. Any London types remember Ivich? They create the same creepy dank tone. This Oregonian outfit hurt my ears and inspire shallow breathing, but I kind of like it...


Beautiful free pop that sits somewhere between Animal Collective and Idiot Pilot. In my head when I play "what would I do were I Alex Patsavas" (I play this game in my head regularly) I'd use this bands songs on a number of CW beach town set teen dramas in scenes panning seascapes. It's music that creates images of care free abandon and sunshine, and when it's so bleak outside, it provides an instant holiday.


With a name that sounds almost like a Pokemon (Blastoise), you probably wouldn't expect a Port O'Brien shanty-indie vibe to emanate from this band. They sound like early Flaming Lips-playful and a little aggravated, yet somehow managing to be sweet enough to take you out to sea.


A young man called Nathan makes this 60's style Beach Boys-esque pop and it is fantastic. Nathan, if you're out there. let's be friends.


Something is happening here. It's not often you can call music genuinely interesting, but this intrigues with its aural experimentalism.


I love the record label Barsuk and I will never tire of saying so. This one guy from the Barsuk stable reminds me of David Bazan, who makes some of my favourite music in the world. This is emotive guitar music that means something, and so while I pine for more Bazan Lackethereof serves to please immensely.




If you like art at all there are some very good shows are on in London right now.
Please do check out:

Roger Hiorns at 157 Harper Road, Elephant and Castle.
Mark Tansey at Gagosian, Britannia Street.
Conrad Frankel at the Hempel Hotel.
Nicola Hicks at Flowers East, 21 Cork Street.
William E Jones at Swallow Street.
Stuart Haygarth at The Haunch of Venison.
Lynda Benglis, Louise Bourgeois, Alina Szapocznikow at Hauser and Wirth.
Tom Wood and Padraig Timoney at Museum 52.
Sophie Calle at the Whitechapel.
Georgia Russell at England & Co.
Robert Mcnally at One in the Other.

If you feel like travel:
Paris and Miami hold galleries by the lovely Emmanuel Perrotin
and Copenhagen holds David Risleys great gallery too.




Food wise, I've been enjoying Beas of Bloomsbury and Lolas (there is a concession in Selfridges Food Hall), both exceptional for cakes. It's also worth noting that Beas, though new, excels in cosy afternoon teas. On the cake front (it's all I have been living on, nothing is new) Hummingbirds Soho branch has finally opened on Wardour Street, so why not give them a welcoming visit and have a red velvet cupcake, the greatest of them all.

Right, now it is time to go back to repeating I Blame Coco and Robyns 'Caesar' and trying not to laugh when Coco does a call and response "I heard Robyns can fly!"....it is TOO cheesy. Great song otherwise though, check it out:


Merry Christmas everybody, hopefully this break won't be as long!

No comments: