Wednesday, February 11, 2009

green tea: pretty awesome or pretty gross?

So I admit, I am not immune to the plaid mafia (thank Nevan/ The City). I do own one Bon Iver song ("Creature Fear"). I do sometimes find myself humming the icky stick in your head chorus of "Quicksand" of La Roux fame, at times. Sometimes though, I do also dabble in good music. Here are some examples:

1. Singer. 

This Chicago band have all of what I desire in a rock band. They remind me of the Dirty Projectors, but a little more minimal. It's very simple music, and I bet they're the kind of band Opening Ceremony would play in their New York store-embodying their ethos of being endlessly hip and ethereal, but not that accessible. Rad.


Click on. The first song you'll hear is a cover of "Winter Wonderland", which is so lovely in its subtle indie glory I swear this is the kind of song Vanessa from Gossip Girl would play in Rufus' gallery cafe around Christmas, while she pines for Nate/Dan (she's so fickle, WHY would ANYONE like Dan. Such a loser.) Anyway, A Weather play beautiful, smart, emotive music. Pretty pianos and acute beats play well with the hushed male-female vocals. The only thing I take issue with is that the songs on the myspace all sound quite similar. I'd be really interested to see if and when they mix things up a little more, as there is lots of potential here. RAC should do a remix, it'd undoubtably be awesome.
 

For those who don't obsess over Saddle Creeks roster, this band are the best noveau Hold Steady for those who don't like the Hold Steady ever. Big, with Tim Kasher-esque vocals, and a healthy dose of good old American rock too. Can you say exciting? Crappy production creates a barrier that I'd imagine once removed in a live forum would be amazing. Despite/As well as a name that sounds a tad bit dirty, they excite me greatly.


I am intrigued by this band. They are musically schizophrenic. Coldplay on LSD? Keane on crack? I can't decide. Take the keyboards, take the kind of weird vocal, I can't decide whether I love or hate it. That said, I am still listening, so that must count for something right? Right.


I know his record is pretty old now, but I love it. It got little to no recognition when it was released and I believe it to be one of the best records of 2008. Field Manual is a fantastic effort loaded with rockier elements of Wallas day job- Death Cab For Cutie. Essentially this means Field Manual is a great pop album with indie rock sensibilities in regards to production and composition, which is at once scuzzy and neat. The vocals pleasing and distinctive, and the melodies catchy and intelligent. For a taster why not download 'The Score" or "Everyone Needs A Home", and perhaps you too will share in the warm fuzzy feeling that the record gives me. Please do buy it. Barsuk (Chris Walla's very own label) needs you my friends, and if you order things from their website they send you wonderful extras, including stickers, patches and other neat surprises complimentary with your musical bundles of joy. Why? Barsuk are just great like that. Release some more records soon though, okay guys?

Soon, we visit more bands, more accessible and a little more pop. One band even sounds LOTS like Tokyo Police Club. How exciting is that? I can't wait!

1 comment:

Glucky said...

I saw EagleSeagull open for Tokyo Police Club last year in San Fran! I couldn't decide either but they're really cool live so I think that means something right? right.