Wednesday, February 25, 2009

loser moustaches


Man oh man, sorry for the absence. I've been hanging down South for a few weeks, and as it so happens a whole lot of stuff has happened since I last wrote. I've jived with some great movers and shakers who are doing great things for the music industry, dined alongside US bigwigs who indicated that a LOT of A&R shaped heads will roll at one of the majors before SXSW, hung with people with really, really stupid moustaches and egos to match and of course, spent time with some very talented friends. I have also become one of the many now OBSESSED with Spotify, as it fulfills all of my Prince, Stevie Wonder and Hall & Oates needs on a daily basis, but more on that another time. 

Enough business though, lets talk leaks and music for self professed geeks.

This past week the Kelly Clarkson album and Yeah Yeah Yeahs recordings were flung premature into the world, and joy of joys they are both very, very good. Clarkson rocks out like she never has before, it's so rock'n'roll it's like musical bondage. So fashionable, that Kelly. Alexander Wang will be salivating and dying to dress you. Track down 'Whyyawannabringmedown' and feel the guilt mingling with joy. I downloaded it today and have since listened to it seventy five times.

Nick Zinner and Co bring us some more mellow songs, with the Yeah Yeah Yeahs great and beautiful new work. I have yet to find a song on the record I don't want to make my own constant, soothing soundtrack. One for 2009's best of's already? Yup.

In older news, I have been digging Black Milk's record. The rapper brings game like he's repping Bad Boy back in the day and for that, if I had a cap, I would tilt it towards him with respect. Check out 'Losin' Out', and try not to nod your head, try hard.

If you hadn't already heard , by the by, the new Jamie T ( 'Fire' is so Beastie Boys I could cry with excitement), Maccabees (I could listen to 'No Kind Words' the National-esque song in question ALL day) and Metric (Oh Em, you can do no wrong) songs are wonderful and amazing. The new Jack Penate is not garnering much love from me, but hey Ottoman-lite works for some people...Pleasant news is that you can aurally manifest yourself with all of these tunes, as they are all abundantly free and available on the Internet. While you're out there I'd download Katy Perry's version of Sam Sparro's 'Black and Gold', for a haunting and dare I say "soulful" take on an otherwise crappy song. It's Perry rocking it like the choir girl she secretly still wishes she was, all bare, delicate and pretty.

Keeping on the pretty vibe (as in pretty awesome), The Pains of Being Pure at Heart have been killing it on Hype Machine lately and they in fact embody ALL the aspects of every 90's/early 00's teen movie soundtrack you adored, but new and now. I don't often buy albums, but this one is rough and poppy, has great bass lines AND Little Death/Pavement-esque vocals. So what I'm trying to say is that the band have created an album I'm in love with. I want to romance, wine and dine The Pains Of Being Pure at Heart. Please, do yourself a favour and listen? Fall in love and let your limbs have fun. Kids who like this type of awesome will also likely love Bishop Allen, also known as the band featured at Arlene's in Nick and Nora's Infinite Playlist. While you're in this "checking out new music vibe" why not check out the new Phoenix track? '1901' warms my heart just right.

I think, that's enough to send you off in a flurry of excitement, because while none of these are HOT OFF THE PRESS bands, I think there's music in this post for everyone to like and love/hold cherish/insert gross cliche here...




4 comments:

eraseallthemaps said...

have you seen phoenix are touring here in a couple of months? think they're playing hoxton bar and kitchen. i actually saw nick and nora (hated it) but liked Michael Cera's band - the long goodbye - a tiny bit more x

Zara Meerza said...

i have and i am going! i am super excited. i love all michael cera touched things, long goodbye included. let us play soon? x

eraseallthemaps said...

yes, it'd be good to see you again! I'm in Leeds this weekend for a club night on Friday and to see Pulled Apart by Horses on Saturday, inbetween I will be partying up with different groups of friends, let mw know if thats any good to you! Oherwise see you in London soon! x

Sakira said...

I am extremely greatfull to you as you shared this.I am recently developing associate app descargar spotify premium apk 2018 that is you would possibly have an interest to appear thereon