Friday, March 6, 2009

cedar bar redux


Good names, bad names, most bands teeter on the ridiculous with their monikers. I know whenever I've had to entitle anything everything that I come up with sounds either horribly pretentious or very cheesy. This is the case with a lot of the acts discussed on this blog and today it's no different.

To befit the mood I'm in lately hip hop is where my minds at, so as a segway from our last post which incited a lot of excitement about Chiddy and co, I give to you More or Les.
Awful name, good rapper. I'm a big fan of his big band/jazz samples, and once more I think he's one of those gems that fans of Kanye would really like. Unlike Chiddy there aren't contemporary references as recent as Chiddys' 'Chris Brown on Grammy night' line, but still works out being pretty sick. I think Will Smith in the Fresh Prince would dig it, and that's enough for me to keep pushing repeat.

Enjoying the jazzy tones of More? Why not cruise on over and listen to the interestingly titled Black Congo, NC. They're pretty weird, but funky, in a let's all take acid and go crazy kind of way. I've never actually done acid, so if you have do let me know if this is what jazz-rock sounds like while on it. I'm genuinely intrigued.

Let's move into non drug induced beat heavy indie rock now. Who doesn't indie music like the kind Illinois produce? They sound really hot and lethargic. Which might not sound so good on paper, but they sound really seductive in a dive bar kind of way. Like a dirty Dirty Projectors. Check them out and feel grimy in the best of ways.

I usually abhor modern folk music, especially when sung by precocious girls in flowery dresses, however I find Hop Along, Queen Ansleis pretty refreshing.  She's really happy, and yet evokes the bitter sweet emotion found in the better Mouldy Peaches songs, without ripping off Diane Cluck like most lady folk singers. Her voice has real character that really just makes me want to be her (Frances Quinlans) best friend. Sweet and a little odd, have a listen to what I think is the healthy alternative to Emmy the Great. No offense to Emmy, but imagine Emmy doing a really great cover album of Alanis Morissettes 'Jagged Little Pill'. Now you've got the right idea.

Okay so, you read this blog. You think to yourself, 'Zara, it's all good and well that you talk about people with stupid facial hair and your love of bad hip hop, but where is the COOL MUSIC. I want to dance to some electronic bands this weekend, why aren't you helping me, huh? I want to jerk my body in awesome and weird shapes, give me music to be able to do so. Okay?'
Fear not Metronomy, Late Of The Pier fans, why not listen to hey hey for all your shape making needs. Pump up the jam, Philly style.

Jumping to another ship, do you like Tim Kasher? I do. Chicago has their own answer to The Good Life/ Cursive in Netherfriends. Netherfriends are a psy-pop-rock gang who make indie music sound like a soundtrack to a Narnia film, but awesome. I'm also guessing fans of this kind of music may like Minus the Bear-ites Exercise as well due to their big experimental pop endeavors .

Pet Lions are a band for those who like OKGO, The Strokes and maybe a little touch of Tokyo Police Club. I am getting a little sick of animal themed band names, but hey, this band are pretty good to bop along to in the sun. Or bop anywhere really. Sunny music for people of a sunny disposition.

Do you like Bon Iver? And Ben Folds a little maybe? Then damn, do I have a band for you in Thin Hymns. It's SUCH pretty music I may shed a tear. Plus, there are no gimmicks attached! There is no reason not to LOVE Thin Hymns. Get stoked. Get emotional.

Finally, have you ever wondered what would happen if Panic at the Disco covered Postal Service songs? I have not. However, I think I know now. The record would sound a lot like Sam Buck Rosen. It's pretty out there, but very enjoyable once you get into the right mindset for the post pop pandemonium.

Oh my. My laptop is now beginning to burn my lap, so I figure this is as good a time as any to say, hello, goodbye and happy weekend wherever you are...

No comments: