Monday, March 9, 2009

day seven: no cake



When the rain comes down hard outside and the wind blows you around on the way home, the world doesn’t feel that kind. You want to get into bed, wearing knitted socks, a big sweater, warm your hands around a hot mug of something and seek comfort. I’ve become a big fan of quiet over the years.

I can’t read when there’s music playing, I can’t try on clothes with music playing, I can’t cook with music playing, I can’t write or draw with music playing usually. However, I also can’t sleep unless there is music in the background, I can’t take long walks without music playing and I certainly can’t take journeys train, plane or otherwise without some music to provide mood or memory. What’s special about listening to music at this time of year I find is how it can very much take you away from harsh elements, the grey, any kind of emotional tumult and crowds of all sizes. After a particularly busy weekend I always feel the need to spend a day or two, or at least a few hours walking about by myself, with just headphones for company. With this in mind, here is my company of late…

I first became attracted to Bell Plaines a few months ago while addicted to Chris Walla. A recent film graduate from Portland, my dream home, Spencer (not of The Hills fame) had been creating soundtracks for films when he decided to create music that “had the sound of a blustery winter” for it’s own purpose. Chris discovered this music and fell in love with it soon after (while his band mate fell in love wit Zooey Deschanel, my girl crush). I find Spencer’s done a beautiful job. The songs are soft, clear, intimate and yes, cinematic. Not adhering to any musical trends, this is music to attach to your own “moments”, significant or singular.

Ruby Coast are from Aurora, Canada. I first listened to them because I have little of a fascination with the name Aurora; I think it’s terribly beautiful. This music is very typically “contemporary Canadian”. They sound like an untrained Tokyo Police Club, rougher and as unproduced as can be. Yet through this dusty haze of unprofessionalism, lies talent and pop songs that have infinite potential and appeal for fans of the Rapture, Tokyo Police Club and Clap Your Hands Say Yeah. Imagining them live I feel a little sunshine, the kind I associate solely with Ontario summers.

Winter Gloves dub themselves to be part of the genre “Healing & Easy Listening”. I like to listen to them when I need something mildly upbeat to get psyched for emerging into the night when it’s winter, a sort of merry incentive for excitement. They’re like a much less annoying MGMT, which in itself is a reason why I guess they could be “healing”. I have to be honest, I’m not totally sold on them, but I do find them interesting enough to listen to multiple times to try and figure them out. They have handclaps. I am a sucker for handclaps, so I guess I’ll keep coming back for more.


When I feel like being a little jauntier, I like to listen to Sports, another Ontario band, who are like a hyper Broken Social Scene or a band of sort of Beck fans. They make me happy, as they fuse a manner of genres from indie to pop to garage rock to laptop electro without taking themselves seriously at all. Most of all they sound really joyous and happy to be making music and generally, a happy band equals a happy fan. They cite their influences as “spontaneous mutations”, and you know what? You can hear them.

Now Now Every Children are playing in London soon, and if you like the Postal Service or even kind of liked I Was A Cub Scout in their short existence, go see them. Seriously. This kind of spacey laptop pop is only bettered by Faded Paper Figures and Gibbard and co themselves, so if you are a fan of the aforementioned bands, this WILL be your thing. The band hail from the truly wonderful Afternoon Records roster, which made me kind of like them before I even listened to them. They have epic potential and already pretty pop songs, and for such a small band that’s a big deal.

The last of this gang are called Bamorhea. This is very girly Grays Anatomy music- pianos, cellos and violins feature- and could soundtrack any number of heartbreaks, emotional let downs and moments of quiet reflection. It took me a long time to grow to even tolerate instrumental music, but find it to be the most malleable to ones own feelings. Lord, I’ve clearly just watched far too many heart wrenching episodes of Dawsons Creek in my time, I’m getting far too sappy. Next thing you know I’ll be digging out my Michelle Branch and Vanessa Carlton records…

Before I go I just wanted to say, I know a lot of you will know Pedro the Lion/ David Bazan, but I’m also aware a lot of you may never have heard him before. Pedro the Lion are not just one of my favourite bands for winter, but for always. I have spent days and days alone with records created by David and feel more for his music every time I listen. My three most listened to songs are ‘Harmless Sparks’, ‘Never Leave A Job Half Done’, and revealing my love for listening to carols all year round, ‘God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen’. Alas, none of these are on Spotify, but some can be found on the Pedro The Lion Myspace and at the Daytrotter sessions page.

Failing to like any of the above, put on ‘Logic Will Break Your Heart’ by the Stills (track: Gender Bombs) or ‘Boxer’ by The National (track: Slow Show) both the best of company for any season or situation.

3 comments:

Gareth Morgan esq. said...

I'll see you in Portland.

There doesn't seem much point in living anyhwere else.

Giles Maffett said...

Does your fascination for the name Aurora perhaps come from a certain fast-talking mother daughter TV show perchance?

Zara Meerza said...

Morgan, I'll see you there. I'm returning this Summer for sure. Come? Yes? Bring Charles? Great. Good times ahead.

And Maffett, I do believe you mean Lorelai Lee Gilmore of Gilmore Girls? My love of Aurora comes from Sleeping Beauty, also the meaning of Aurora is the same as the meaning of my name. That said, if my first born is a girl she will have both names, so you know me well...