Saturday, May 30, 2009

unexplained ending


Alright so I said I wouldn't write again until after June 4th, I lied. 

As I've been delaying much reading for frolics in the tropical weather that has arrived (or is visiting, depending on who you ask) I figured while the sunshine puts me off eating, moving or being generally productive throwing some musical names out into the world would bring me some sort of good karma and trick myself into thinking I've actually done something worthwhile in the past few days. 

So while I remain in the previously described state of confusion and disarray (except now the inside of my head sounds like The Best of the 1930's album I just bought, rather than the Blood Brothers), I provide for you here dear friends some sounds with which to segway into summer.


Did you play Nintendo when you were young? Did you like Donkey Kong? Did you get to the final level? This music sounds like the AWESOME music that accompanied the joy you felt when you got all the bananas, had Diddy Kong at your side and had broken through all those pesky barrels. It's insane, and will probably make you feel really freaked out.

Totally different to Adventure. Think Grizzly Bear doing a soundtrack to a Meg Ryan movie-wistful, charming and a bit weird.

I'm a little late on these guys as everyone is harping on about them these days, but quite rightly so. They sound a bit like Bear Hands but (in my opinion) a bit more interesting. A little righteous, a little out there and with deep folk roots (think choral segments) I'm developing a little love for them.

I can't do any better a job describing them than a certain Canadian magazine did, I quote:
"Hipsters are going to jizz themselves over this one. It's like a combination of The Flaming Lips, Built To Spill and Dismemberment Plan.”
Uh huh.

Like a drunk REALLY early Kings Of Leon. Or other drunk dudes from the Southern parts of America. 

Six Pence None The Richer fronted by a guy meets a calm Pains of Being Pure at Heart. Believe.

I feel like I've written about them before. Have I? They sound a lot like Chairlift or Yo La Tengo, maybe even a little Fleeing New York. An example of when boys and girls play together and it goes very right.

Think Sia meets Billy Corgan meets the Polyphonic Spree. As Peter Andre would say, "insania".

A Deer Hunter side project so beautiful it may make you weep a little. Big thanks to Pereira for this one.

A Glucky discovery, and a dreamy, lazy summer day band if there ever was one.


Happy sunshine napping and as Spotify would say, PLAY SAFE.



No comments: