Tuesday, June 9, 2009

steve albini, what a dude



What was the impetus for choosing the song that you're listening to right now?
Why is it that some songs have memories attached to them and others just as old and listened to don't?

I rarely stop to think about these things, I assume you don't either.
Lately I've been reading the word 'haunting' in reviews a lot (case in point the radical Holly Miranda), it's a word I tend to associate with the ethereal, the hushed tones of a singer song writer and dark places that I've never been to. Then I thought about it- haunting means to be followed by something beyond your control, and this can be anything, not just the ghostly echoes of a wizened being. Lately I've been haunted by songs old and new, fragments of Reflection Eternal have made their presence known when I'm lost without headphones and Harlem Shakes have returned making their refrains known once more in my mind. The two acts couldn't be more different, and yet haunt all the same, and while it remains to be seen who mentioned in the forthcoming blog will dance between my ears for years to come I find all those mentioned are slight ghosts of music I have loved previously, hence why I can compare them to predecessors and contemporaries. 

So I suppose I haven't deciphered what makes music viable for eternal existence (another haunting definition) other than a songs propensity to be catchy, but I hope the bands mentioned below will make enough of an impact on you that you'll take away something with you, even when the act of listening is long gone. 

Look out behind you...

A female fronted Minus the Bear. Think Regina Spektor sleepy and happy.

There are touches of early Maccabees and Good Shoes at work on the songs posted on the Scottish gangs Myspace. Vocals need something more, but what already exists sure makes me feel nostalgic for times of being crammed into venues that are no more and having a great Smirnoff fueled time.

I think they're okay, and everyone else loves them. They sound very mid 90's US indie pop, but not in the fun Pains way. Despite this though, to me it says a lot that Pains cite them as one of their favourite new bands so due to my love of Pains I give them props.

Bishop Allen drunk and at a house party. I thoroughly enjoy the name too.

5. Hut
Hut sound like the future if it were curated by Passion Pit, Pains and of Montreal. The future looks bright, and like everything I want it to.

Their myspace hurts my eyes. However, gang vocals, golden melodies and a random as hell trumpet equal what Los Campesinos should have been. I.e. good and fun.

Really really garage rock. Like post Horrors post noise post hipsters who can't play their instruments. Good or bad? I'm still contemplating if the line is a good place to be.

A really happy family (of hippies).

Cambridge, Mass kids sure like big beats these days. I sure like Cambridge, Mass kids these days. So 80's it hurts, in a sort of cheesy exercise video good way. I am indulging with glee.

Like an indie Boys Night Out, really experimental, not at all commercial and quite frantic. I'm not sure they've found their feet (or a good studio) yet, but I have a soft spot for these Black Box Recording alums. Mostly because Black Box reminds me of being a teenager in Toronto and super good times.

I LOVE Gregory. He's so weird and broken sounding. Gosh, I'd even go as far as to call him quirky (oh the dreaded word). I have a crush. So predictable. I am such a loser.

Okay, so I feel a little weird talking about this band. When I first heard of them, which was about 3 weeks ago, I thought they were a joke band. A&R Dudes from XL (albeit nice ones) decide to form a band? My first thought was 'COME ON'. However, I actually really like this. To the point where I file2hd'ed the myspace tracks (okay, the first track is way better than the second). How can I place them...do you remember that band Battle? Who had that one single on Transgressive (where did they even go?) about not being able to pay the rent? Phantom sound like that, mixed with a bit of Tulips era Bloc Party and band du jour Delphic. Yup. It's good. Props to Phantom, high fives in the street when you see them, I want more.

1 comment:

Gareth Morgan esq. said...

i have that battle single...

tendency i believe.